The Power of Dry Extrusion
Patented. Powerful. Proven.
O&T Farms offers superior feed ingredients through our innovative dry extrusion technology and research and development program. All products are made with our highest standards of quality to provide animals with a highly digestible, palatable and healthy feed ingredient.
How Dry-Extrusion Works
Dry-extrusion uses pressure and temperature to erupt oilseeds and gelatinize starches around the fat cells. During the process, protein-fat and protein-starch matrices are formed and anti-nutritional factors are dissipated, creating a Nutritionally Better animal feed ingredient.
- Oilseed cell-wall ruptures
- Protein structures change
- Starches gelatinize
- Homogenization of feed materials
- Partial dehydration and sterlization of feed
Formation of Protein-Fat and Protein-Starch Matrices
Distribution maps were generated using synchrotron light and microscope aperture of 10 um x 10 um to demonstrate the chemical changes of the feed materials through dry extrusion processing. (Source: Canadian Light Source 2006)
- The starch peaks become broader and less defined, suggesting a structural change.
- The lipid peaks aggregate within the starch source and become more defined, suggesting the formation of new nutritional matrices.
Results of the Dry-Extrusion Process:
- Increased digestibility of starch, proteins (amino acids) and celluloses
- Increased metabolic energy
- Inactivation of anti-nutritional factors and undesirable enzymes
- Sterilization of product from important microorganisms
- Improved palatability
- Exceptional shelf life
- Consistent and reliable nutrient supply
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) at every level of production.
- In-house NIR analysis of the nutrient profile for both raw materials and the finished feed ingredient.
- Our facilities are CFIA approved to ensure all manufacturing controls and quality control programs are active and enforced. our facilities are animal protein free.
- HACCP certified facilities.